History & Architecture

The “Pasfield House Historic Area” recognizes the Pasfield Family estate that once existed on the far west side of the city. The 40 acre property remains identifiable and is where all three generations of George Pasfields would reside till the end of their lives. Records show the individual land parcels were acquired by the elder Pasfield between 1835 and 1847.

A manuscript in the Sangamon Valley Collection describes the property as “well out in the country” and by the author of the History of Sangamon County as a “cosy rural retreat”. The parcels encompass all land within the boundaries of Pasfield, Capital, and New streets, as well as, properties on both sides of Edwards. Though never utilized as a traditional farm the property was inhabited by farm animals for personal family use.

The federal style house built by early settlers George and Mary Pasfield no longer exists. Elder George Pasfield lived there until his passing in 1869. The home and its prominence on the west side is identifiable in two historic maps of Springfield one from 1867 and the other from 1876. The original interior of the home was said to have quarter sawn oak woodwork that had a distinctive tiger style black graining.

The original structure had additions added to it over the years, presumably by their son Dr. George Pasfield who occupied the home until his death in 1916. After Dr. Pasfield passed the home was raised by his son George Pasfield Jr., the executor of the massive Pasfield holdings. The pictures of the original home of the elder and Dr. George Pasfield depicts the home at a later stage with the attached additions. The second photo may have been take just prior to raise the structure.

Within the grounds of the estate, the two sons of Dr. George Pasfield built residences. Both homes of George Jr, Dr. Pasfield’s namesake, and Arthur, the youngest son, exist today. The Pasfield family property at the time was one of the largest residential tracks in the city.

Arthur’s home is architecturally significant and a beautiful example of prairie style with a large front gable and two-story bay window and gabled dormer. The structure has classical inspired square columned porch that faces the State Capitol. The home was not built in a Frank Lloyd Wright style, but as what originally was recognized as a Prairie Home Style. The two story structure sat on the edge of the former estate facing Edwards Street. A shaker shingle exterior, its interior design has extensive woodwork, with quarter sawn oak throughout depicting traditional mission style carpentry. Today it remains significantly intact and is owner occupied. Recently was visited by Arthur Pasfield's grandson, George Pasfield who resides in California. The Mayor of Springfield procliamed the day, George Pasfield Day in his honor.

The most famous and most recognized symbol of the family’s success is the Georgian-Revival mansion has been recently renovated as Pasfield House Inn. Built in 1896 by the eldest son George, Jr. at age 26 just before his marriage. The classical revival architectural style was popularized as a result of the 1893 Columbian World Exposition, commonly known as the Chicago World Fair. The three story building sits at the corner of Pasfield and Jackson Parkway with a view of what was once the family wooded estate.

The Pasfield House Inn today towers over a private city park where the first Pasfield home was built. It is now used as a tourist home, reception and meeting facility, as well as coordinating cooking demonstrations through Lincoln Land Community College. At legislative session time it has served as a temporary residences for lobbyists and legislators and is now a Bed & Breakfast: Pasfield House Inn.